Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Whadda Week!

I love it when a plan comes together. Since I already had tickets to the Patriots game for last Sunday, I began whole-heartedly rooting for a sweep.

Flashback: Back in 2004, I had a business trip planned for San Jose, California that would have resulted in me flying during game 4 of the WS. I changed plans so that I would be available to see the game. I located a 'Red Sox' bar, the Buccaneer, and drove an hour out of my way to watch the game in San Francisco. Watching the Sox sweep the Cardinals in a bar with wall-to-wall Red Sox fans was absolutely amazing. The subsequent drive down the Monteray peninsula with the Sox hat on the dash and ESPN radio playing game clips was just heaven.

Fast Forward: Once again, I was scheduled to be traveling during game 4 (the train from Providence back to Mamaroneck). I changed plans, so I could watch the game in Newport amidst Red Sox nation. The idea that I could wear my hat on the Acela train into the heart of Manhattan was just too perfect. But the Sox had to win two games, but I just felt it ....

I watched game 3 at O'Briens on Thames Street in Newport. Not crowded, but good cast of fans, in a semi-outdoor environment. Drinking way too many Red Sox-labeled Budweisers, I barely made it through the end of the game. Saturday was a good day, but Sunday was soooo much better.

Sunday morning started with the traditional Dunkin Donuts breakfast - is there anything better? After an easy drive to Foxboro (our first easy drive in recent memory), my buddy Ross and I headed towards the Lafayette House on Route 1 for lunch. Now, the Lafayette House is located one mile from Gillette Stadium in the midst of tailgating central, and as a result can be quite crowded. Seating is first-available, grab whatever table you can. Literally, As we walk in, a table directly in front of the only TV in the bar opens up. This was going to be a good day.

We had great seats for what turned out to be a perfect game for the Patriots. The Patriots game starting at 4:15 posed a problem for getting back to Newport by an 8:35 first pitch. However, Brady and the Patriots defense obliged us by just smoking the Redskins. With game well in hand by the end of the third quarter, we (and thousands of others) were able to hit the road early in the fourth quarter, up 45-0. With the crowd chanting, "Let's go Red Sox," and receiving high-fives filing of the stadium, it was great to be New England.

Sunday night in Newport is not excatly downtown San Franciso. Finding a suitable watching environment was difficult. The first bar, One East Pelham, had a "comedy" band on stage. They were awful. Although the barkeep promised they would be done by first pitch, they kept playing well into Jacoby Ellsbury's double. No one but us seemed to care. We couldn't stay there. The next spot was better, but basically dead. Ross and I, had the entire back bar with five TVs, a pool table, a foosball table, and a pinball machine to occupy our angst. At least this place had the Red Sox-bottled Buds. With the Okajima-allowed HR, we needed another change of scenery. Back to O'Briens! Again, not The Buccaneer, but it would do. A few tense innings made it exciting, but I never lost faith that they were sweeping (boy, that's a change). And how sweet it was.

The train ride was great. Taking the subway from Penn Station was even better. Wearing the hat into the office - priceless. No one said anything. No one spit on me (a rumor that I heard during the coverage of the parade was that New Yorkers were spitting on people wearing Red Sox gear). Just a quiet acquiessence that the 'F-in' Red Sox won it all, and their team was in disarray.

Final Notes: I watched the Parade on my computer during work, and then broke down and paid for the Sports Pak at home so I could get NESN and the replay. Is there any better character than Papelbon? You gotta love that guy! Although I love it when I'm in Boston, I rarely miss it when I'm not there. Days like Tuesday's parade, I truly miss not being there.

I'm all for resigning Mike Lowell. I have mixed feeling about A-Rod. However, I'm not sure why people assume the two are mutually exclusive. A-Rod is really a shortstop. I'm aware we have a contracted SS for the next three years, but if you're going to spend $300mm, does it really matter? Adding A-Rod would allow us finally trade Manny, keep Coco Crisp in center, put Ellsbury in Left without losing any power in the lineup. And let me say this, there would be nothing that would stick in the craw of Yankee fans more than if A-Rod comes to Boston and wins a Championship there.

I hope we keep Schilling. He wants one year. Give him whatever he wants.

Postscript: Walking home down Madison Ave, I spotted a leather-jacket clad, almost biker-ish kind of guy walking towards me the opposite way on Madison. Like me, he too had a Red Sox hat on. I acknowledged him with a nod, we share a smirk, and in passing he called out, "Love your hat, man!" as we exchanged a solid high-five. My hand actually hurt for a couple of blocks, but it was a good pain. I may have missed the parade, but there are the little things.

No comments: