Monday, June 15, 2009

One Flight on Time

Thunderstorms in New York on Friday caused fairly severe air traffic delays. One flight left and arrived on time - and it was MINE! That's the good news, I guess. The bad news was that I missed it.

Starting as early as Noon, nwa.com listed my flight as late. 3:35pm was the scheduled departure time (vs. the 3:00pm original time). I checked the status every 20-30 minutes with the same results. Since I am only 20-25 minutes from the airport, and I check no bags, my goal is to get there 30 minutes before the flight.

At 2:35, I am getting ready to leave the office, and check the status of the flight once more. Scheduled Departure: 3:00 - ON TIME. What?!? Yikes! I made the airport in record time, and got to security 2:58/2:59pm, but ... I can't print a boarding pass and the flight leaves the gate at 3:07 without me. Apparently, Air Traffic Control deemed it ok to send the flight, and when Air Traffic Control says "go," you go. You need to be at the gate.

So I ask this question: what is the point of displaying the flight being late if 1) I have to be there on time anyway, and/or 2) the flight can change the fact that it is or isn't delayed at the drop of a hat?

I was rebooked on the 5:15 which is eventually 2 1/2 hours late.

No comments: