Monday, June 8, 2009

Flyin the Friendly Skies

So all this traveling has finally yielded a small benefit. After about two and a half months of flying, I made it to Elite status on Northwest/Delta. I actually got in to the program earlier than expected. When I first moved out here, I made all the necessary arrangements to rack up airline miles as fast as possible. One of the first steps was getting a Northwest credit card. Every dollar spent = miles earned. There was a bonus feature. During the year, if you spent enough on the card, you got 25,000 miles toward the Elite program. However, Northwest and Delta are in the middle of merging, and Delta has a seperate American Express card relationship. Delta recently announced that they are canceling the Northwest relationship with US Bank Visa. And poof! there went my chance at 25,000 Elite miles. However, I wasn't one to give up. I called customer service, and they gave me 10,000 Elite miles due to my "inconvenience." With that, Bang!, my 19,000 miles jumped to 29,000 and welcome to Elite early.

Although it doesn't sound like much, now I can pick preferred seats and make nearer term reservations. I can fly Stand-by and change flights without paying for it, board the plane ahead of everyone else and get upgraded when First Class seats are open. I got upgraded last Friday, but unfortunately, the full plane had no space for me in the Upper Class on the way back this morning.

It's the little things....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

check out frugaltravelguy.blogspot.com. He's my neighbor in Hilton Head