Tuesday, March 3, 2009

You're Gonna Make It After All

I have accepted a new job. It has a catch that wasn’t expected at the outset of this search – it’s in Minneapolis. I’ll be doing very similar things to my old jobs, but at a new firm. Waterstone Capital Management, which is located just West of the city in Plymouth, MN, was one of the best performing convertible bond funds in 2008. They were up more than 12%, when many funds were down 20-50%. Founded about five years ago, Waterstone has roughly 18 employees and manages about $750 million of investor’s capital.

At first, I will be commuting Mon-Fri, and returning home for the weekends. Come August, we’ll see what’s next. Much depends on the NY State housing market. We could rent our place, sell it, or potentially continue the commuting thing for another school year.

I'm very excited about the opportunity. Waterstone is a very good match with my skill set, and I like the people very much. The commute/move is a bit nerve racking. We'll see how it goes.

Overall, the family is on-board. Alison will certainly have the most difficulty since her family remains here in New York. Katie, who was not too pleased at first, is veiwing it more positively. The unshakable Emily would probably be ok if we moved tomorrow.

I'm starting March 16. The company has set me up in an apartment in downtown Minneapolis. I'm already looking at the Twins schedule to see when the Red Sox come to town.

No comments: