Thursday, March 3, 2011

Certificates

I wouldn't label myself a "birther." I have no informed opinion on whether or not President Obama was actually born in Hawaii, or elsewhere. I don't think much about it. In fact, if push came to shove, I would say, yes, I think he was born there. However, I think it more than reasonable to request the official document considering "born in the United States" is a requirement for the job. Frankly, I'm surprised you don't have to produce that to get on the ballot. I can't just go to the state department and have them take my word, or produce alternate documents, and get a passport. I need a copy of my birth certificate. So demanding to see one from the highest government official, who is required to have it, seems reasonable to me.

The new Governor of Hawaii announced that he would retrieve it and produce it to show all who disbelieve to be crazy... until he announced that in fact, he couldn't find it, and even if he did, couldn't produce it without the consent of the individual. Whoops.

To quote a political blog, Ace of Spades, "If you act secretively, it is not crazy to imagine you have secrets." So, why doesn't Obama and/or the White House produce it? Is it to keep the aura of kookiness above the so-called birthers? To quote the same Ace of Spades, "this is what annoys me in the media coverage of this: They demand that Republicans swear on a stack of Bibles to affirm facts they have no knowledge of [it being false] while steadfastly refusing to ask the guy actually concealing the records which would end the controversy why, The Hell, he is continuing to conceal them... I, personally, am sick to death of hearing media sycophants demand that John Boehner affirm that Obama was born in Hawaii while not asking that Obama do the same." Good point.

So I heard one good hypothesis today. Maybe there is something politically embarrassing on it. I don't think Obama is a Muslim, but maybe the certificate says he is. Although raised a Christian, maybe his father filled it out and when it came to religion wrote, "Muslim." Maybe, it something else.

Weird. I just don't get it. We've been told you are crazy if someone believes in the conspiracy theory, but why. Because we say so!

No comments: